[Tagging] separator for addr:housenumber=*

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 12:03:04 UTC 2014

Hi Christian,

As I've already mentioned, in the other thread we discussed a
disambiguation. I would suggest that if you find only

  addr:housenumber=265-269

then you can't really assume any interpolation, and I would argue that
even transforming it to "265" and "269" is going beyond what the data
tells you. However, even though it is "going beyond" the data, it may
be a sensible thing to do if you are working specifically on a
geocoding system. (That is application-dependent.)

The problem with going beyond the data is that there may be
housenumbers which officially have dashes in, but would be meaningless
if broken up. (I found these ones for example:
<http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/compare/addr:housenumber=1-a/addr:housenumber=2-a/addr:housenumber=1-b/addr:housenumber=2-b>
- but there are only a tiny quantity so these examples are not too
serious.)

On the other hand, if you see an object tagged

  addr:housenumber=265-269
  addr:interpolation=odd

then we can be quite confident that the mapper intended you to
interpret this as "265" and "267" and "269".

Best
Dan