[Tagging] default value for "oneway"

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Thu Aug 28 14:56:41 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Bryan Housel <bryan at 7thposition.com> wrote:

> Right now, the oneway checkbox in iD cycles through “Yes” “No” and “Assumed to be No” (blank).
>
> There are a handful of situations that will switch this checkbox to say “Yes” “No” and “Assumed to be Yes” (blank).
> (for example, a `junction=roundabout` or `highway=motorway` tag)
>
> It sounds to me like iD is already working the way you describe.  But definitely let us know if maybe there is an issue with translation or another way we could improve on it.  I did work on this feature and am familiar with the code.

Awesome! Hi there!

I think iD is coherent with the contract right now. Because the
contract says that if you leave the value blank, that means "no".

So iD has the need for a three-valued check box to be able to say
"unset", since I suppose the database has plenty of NULLs.

I was proposing a change in the way to interpret NULLs. If the value
is unset, it is unset. The same way a name can be unset. Means
unknown. Then the convenience default would be moved to the UI, "no"
would be preselected. Equally helpful, but adds certainty to the data.

Of course a change like this in meaning is major, it may be even
impossible in practical terms, not familiar enough with the project
ecosystem.