[Tagging] key:destination Signpost question

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Aug 30 02:33:10 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> On 29.08.2014 21:16, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Destinations are supposed to be relations, and the members are pretty
> > clear.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:destination_sign#Members
>
> I believe Kristen was talking about Key:destination, which is what
> should replace exit_to.

I honestly don't see how this fixes any problems exit_to had given that 1)
I'd be surprised if there's not a major US city that doesn't have a
bifurcated split of equal priority making two or more ramps in otherwise
ambiguous directions, and 2) many large cities have left exits (Tulsa's
interstate 244 has many on the eastside) and 3) there's even center exits.
 Westbound US 26 at OR 8 has OR 8 leaving the roadway from the number 3
lane, with lanes 1, 2 and 4(!) continuing through on 26, and a few miles
east, US 26 East makes a hard right turn, where I 405 North and Market
Street are a left and a center exit respectively...