[Tagging] bridge=humpback ?

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 10:53:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 11:40:00PM -0400, Christopher Hoess wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Richard Z. <ricoz.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:28:59PM -0400, Christopher Hoess wrote:
> >

> > > Maintaining both "bridge=movable" and "bridge:movable=*" has at least one
> > > useful side effect, which I documented, for bridge geeks like me (i.e.,
> > the
> > > people who are probably going to be adding hyper-complicated bridge
> > > detail); it lets you tag a formerly or planned movable span that is now
> > > fixed in place with "bridge:movable=*" but not "bridge=movable". So you
> > > could search for "bridge:movable=swing" and find both working and fixed
> > > swing spans, but a router wouldn't treat the fixed ones as movable. (See
> > > here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Big_Bayou_Canot_train_wreck for
> > the
> > > relevance of such spans.)
> >
> > This may be too subtle for many people and somewhat against the principle
> > of least surprise.
> >

> Good point. I can easily see people "correcting" "bridge=yes" to
> "bridge=movable" because they see the bridge:movable tag on a span. What if
> we made "bridge=fixed" a synonym of "bridge=yes"?

coming back to this because I am now looking at adapting JOSM presets for
the current bridge definitions and there it would appear that if
bridge=yes + bridge:movable=* were considered a valid choice the dialog would
directly offer it as first choice and 99% of contributors would accidentally
select it in places where they actually wanted to select
   bridge=movable+bridge:movable=*
at least I do not see how to tweak the preset otherwise.

So a better combination is required for historic movable bridges before this
gets done.

Some alternatives that already were suggested or that I came up right now:

(1) bridge=fixed + bridge:movable
(2) bridge=historic_movable + bridge:movable
(3) bridge=movable + bridge:movable +
        bridge:movable_status=operational|frequent|rare|historic|suspended

I would prefer something like (3) as it offers the possibility to additional
information about how frequently the moving mechanism is operated.
Also there could be bridge:movable_schedule in addition to this?

Richard