[Tagging] Archway

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 20:25:31 UTC 2014

> Il giorno 31/ago/2014, alle ore 16:56, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> ha scritto:
>
> See also barrier=sally_port [1]

I am not sure if I understood you right here, but to me this arch is neither a barrier nor a Sally port.

>> The key landmark might be a possibility, for example, landmark=archway?
>
> Prefer to have it in some other name space as not all might be
> significant landmarks. Additional landmark=yes or landmark=archway might
> be ok

+1, I have in the past used for (much smaller and older) arches man_made=arch
There are also very few historic=arch in the db (less suitable for this case I guess), but they get often in conflict with historic=monument (maybe better a monument:type or sth similar):

taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=man_made%3Darch
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/historic=arch
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/monument%3Atype

cheers,
Martin

ps: there are also the keys monument (mostly used with yes, more ambiguous) and monument_type (mostly used with city_gate value, only used 5 times in total, can be considered mistagging because city gates aren't historic=monument according to the osm definition of this tag: wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:historic%3Dmonument )