[Tagging] Adding values to usage=* key for power transmission

Rainer Fügenstein rfu at oudeis.org
Wed Dec 3 21:59:31 UTC 2014

let me sum this up:

- loop=yes, a technical term in use and accepted by the pipeline
industry ("loop configuration"), was "voted down" in favour of a more
generic term, that can also be used in other areas (flow_direction=*).
and also not to have one more tag.

- mount=* was abandoned in favour of support=*, because it is already
in use, and also not to have one more tag.

- usage=* is discouraged, because it is already in use, causing to
have one more tag.

FL> Thus, I'm not sure we should literally add power: or railway: or whatever
FL> before usage=* since all features concerned by my proposal and railway one
FL> will be tagged with power=* or railway=*

ACK. the primary tag defines the object, and also defines the scope
(namespace) of the secondary ones. consequently, most of the secondary
ones would also have to be prefixed.

man_made=pipeline
pipeline:name=West 4
pipeline:flow_direction=both
pipeline:usage=transmission
pipeline:location=underground

since all four secondaries in this example are (already) in use in
other fields.

cu