[Tagging] Adding values to usage=* key for power transmission

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 00:42:30 UTC 2014

Thank you Michael for your contribution and clear examples.

> just imagine a city like vienna, drawing one or more man_made=pipeline
> ways parallel to nearly every highway=* - a nightmare, editing-wise.
>
> in these cases, it would be better to use the already existing
> highway=* way and also tag it as man_made=pipeline. and here we have
> the first name=*, ref=* conflict, only to be solved by prefixes.

I don't agree here.
Mapping two different features with one OSM object shouldn't be done,
especially for a pipeline vs a street

Both don't have the same location (one underground, one IS the ground).
Both don't have the same shape (such a pipeline can cross the street many
times, how would you represent this ?).

... they don't share many properties.

Editing software should adapt to such issues, not the DB.

Then :

man_made=pipeline
name=West 4
flow_direction=both