[Tagging] I don't like acronyms [fork from: access in the wiki]

althio forum althio.forum at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 15:33:03 UTC 2014

/ DISCLAIMER /
Starting new thread for side topics from: [Tagging] access in the wiki

(3) I don't like acronyms
>> - psv > public_service or public_transport
>> - hov > carpool
>> - hgv > heavy_goods
>
> while I would support this move, I think
> we should spell these out and not reduce the information
> so psv should become "public_service_vehicle",

I think that "_vehicle" is unnecessary in the context of defining
specific land transport mode.
That is why I dropped it. We also know that agricultural=* and
emergency=* are refering to vehicles here.

>> - hov > carpool
> "hov" -> "heavy_occupancy_vehicle"

not heavy but high

> (this is not about carpooling but about the number of people in the car)

I disagree. That is what carpooling is about.
>From wikipedia.org: High-occupancy_vehicle_lane
> A high-occupancy vehicle lane (also known as an HOV lane, carpool lane,[...]) is a restricted traffic lane reserved at peak travel times or longer for the exclusive use of vehicles with a driver and one or more passengers.
>From wikipedia.org: Carpool
> This article is about the shared use of cars by persons with similar travel needs. [...]
> Carpooling (also car-sharing, ride-sharing, lift-sharing and covoiturage), is the sharing of car journeys so that more than one person travels in a car. [...]
> The majority of carpool commutes (over 60%) are "fam-pools" with family members.

So I will stand with "carpool" for now as your dismissal does not convince me.
I could also go with an easy "with_passengers" / "vehicle_with_passengers".
I could even go with formal "high_occupancy" /
"high_occupancy_vehicle" as (almost) anything is better than "hov".

>> - hgv > heavy_goods
> hgv -> heavy_goods_vehicle

I keep "heavy_goods"; otherwise with "heavy_goods_vehicle" please consider:
goods=* -> light_goods_vehicle?