[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Water tap

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 23:42:07 UTC 2014

On 5/12/2014 2:46 AM, tagging-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:
> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 13:22:15 +0100
> From: Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Water tap (Kotya
> 	Karapetyan)

>> The main choice for water tap is between man_made = water_tap or amenity
> = water_tap. I have no firm idea on either choice. If I have too now I'd
> chose man_made=water_tap. Fits with man_made=water_well .. though not with
> amenity=shower and I'm certain tehre are other examples.
>

> +1 to man_made namespace, no need to deprecate amenity=drinking_water (80K+
> uses, a lot of data consumers)
>

>> But the tag for the purity of the water should be named so that it cannot
> be confused with some other meaning. And be secondary to the facility ..
> much as 'surface=paved' is to other tags (eg highway).
>> man_made=water_tap
>> water_purity=non-portable
>
> not sure if "purity" is a good choice. Completely "pure" water is not
> potable (distilled water), you'd die if you drank too much (OK, you'll also
> die when drinking too much "normal" water [1], but the second "too much" is
> much more than the first).
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

? On the Keep It Simple Stupid theory?

water_potable = yes/no
If not known you don't tag. Then it will some default action possibly based on location. Some may want tags 'boil', 'filter','filter+boil' ...

I know a place with a distilled water tap. It also has a deionised water tap. Not open to the public. And I'm not mapping it.