[Tagging] man_made=adit_entrance

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Sat Dec 6 18:26:00 UTC 2014

On 06/12/2014 18:06, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> There is a proposed tag man_made=adit that is a good idea. But I think
> that it
> would be better to use man_made=adit_entrance for adit entrances - too
> make it
> clear and obvious what should be tagged and to make it closer to
> natural=cave_entrance

That would be closer to the English usage of the word "adit" round near
me (Derbyshire, England - lots of mining and lots of rain, so lots of
adits to let the water out).

To be absolutely clear - an adit isn't just the entrance, it's the
(nearly horizontal) passage from the entrance into the mine. Wikipedia
doesn't always "get things right" (especially when it comes to
distinguishing between different regional Englishes) but it does a
pretty good job here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adit

(better than our wiki tag page IMHO)

Cheers,