[Tagging] Survey of street/road layouts and their tagging

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Fri Dec 12 16:14:29 UTC 2014

On 12/12/2014 13:13, Ulrich Lamm wrote:

> See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ulamm/Tables_of_street_layouts

This could benefit from an explanation of what problem you're trying to
solve here.  The wiki's full of "I think we should tag X like Y" pages
but without any arguments for a change to motivate mappers to change
their habits it's not going to happen.

Currently, for example, "obligatory" is used only 40 times, and 10 of
those are "nudism":

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=obligatory#values

Also the mainly biological term "facultative" is used as if it's an
accepted tag, but there are only 49 uses, in the centre of Bremen:

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/cycleway=facultative

(and it's not common English by any stretch of the imagination - maybe
versions of it are more used in Romance languages where the latin root
is more obvious)

Cheers,

Andy