[Tagging] Moveable objects tagged as building=*

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 17:05:24 UTC 2014

> I am wondering if the building-tag should be used for moveable objects.
> I guess that this is not in the sense of the meaning of building (see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building#Residential and check for
> houseboats).

I believe that we shouldn't focus on the wikipedia definition of building,
as in OSM the tag tends to be used in a more general way (the English term
"structure" seems to fit better).
We shouldn't focus (IMHO) whether something can be moved, but rather if it
will moved often. Being movable should be the only reason to exclude
something from being a "building". A houseboat or floating home might
qualify as a building for osm, even if it isn't for some national law on
buildings (or is for other law or in other jurisdiction).

FWIW, everything can be moved, it depends on the motivation if it will be
moved. See here for a famous building moved:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdJwt12CCVo

Or here (a genuine roman temple in California):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearst_Castle#mediaviewer/File:Hearst_Castle_pool.jpg

Or these:
http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/house-moving-3.jpg
http://www.penmachine.com/images/housemove-lg.jpg