[Tagging] city walls (was: Watermill attributes)

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Wed Dec 17 09:24:50 UTC 2014

On Tue Dec 16 2014 17:42:47 GMT+0000 (GMT), Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > "interesting to map dismantled city gates as historic=city_gate"
> >
> > It is OK to map ruins/remmants, archeological site - but note that
> > completely destroyed objects should NOT be mapped.
>

> typically city gates have had such a huge impact on the structure of cities
> that they normally persist even if there is nothing left in physical terms.
> The roads that once passed the gates are still the "arterial" roads, the
> squares are still named after the gates (typically) and the whole area
> often still has that name (e.g. referring here to my birth town Tübingen,
> where everybody would still know "Neckartor" (dismantled 1804), "Lustnauer
> Tor" or "Haagtor" (and 2 others, all of which non-existent physically but
> very existent in daily life/communication, e.g. to set up a place to meet)).

Care needs to be taken with this statement, and an understanding of local usage.

Gate is a common part of street names in parts of England which fell under the Danelaw.

Gate in these towns and cities is often derived from the Norse word Gatta, meaning street. The best known examples of streets called gate exist in York, although examples also exist in my home city, Leicester.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate

Phil (trigpoint )
--
Sent from my Jolla