[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - admin_title=*

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Fri Dec 19 19:53:22 UTC 2014

> yes, legally it's "Einheitsgemeinde", but that's maybe not a title...
> The "Land" has the title "Stadtstaat", and of course it's also
> "Bundeshauptstadt".
>
> Which one should go into "admin_title" and why?

Have a look at Gemeinde Gutenbrunn:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/406819

Zoom to the borders and see how they are labeled. It reads "Gemeinde
Gutenbrunn", "Gemeinde Bärnkopf", and so on.

In the Talk-AT mailinglist, someone raised the issue that "Gemeinde
Gutenbrunn" is not the correct name. It's actually just "Gutenbrunn". But
imagine the borders just labeled "Gutenbrunn". You won't know whether it's a
commune, or a district, or a state, etc. Some borders are state border,
district border, and commune border at the same time. They are labeled with
the names of state, district, and commune. You won't know which is which.

I am happy with current rendering, and I want to keep that when the names
are stripped. The OSM mapnik layer will hopefully add the amin_name to the
border labels, so that Gutenbrunn will show up as "Gemeinde Gutenbrunn"
again, or as "Gutenbrunn (Gemeinde)" or "Gemeinde: Gutenbrunn" or similar.

How would you like the Berlin border labeled? Well, I guess just "Berlin",
because there's only one administrative unit with that name, and everybody
in the world knows what Berlin is. This is really an exceptional case. But
imagine Brandenburg would be called "Land Berlin". Then you would probably
want to distinguish the city of Berlin from the state of Berlin.