[Tagging] Accuracy of survey

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Tue Dec 23 23:21:52 UTC 2014

On 23.12.2014 17:37, Rainer F├╝genstein wrote:
> mapper A, by means of DGPS, MilStd GPS, crystal ball etc., is able to
> achieve an accuracy of, say, a few centimeters and uses it to add new
> nodes (POIs) to OSM.
>
> some time later, mapper B with his/her ancestors mechanical GPS device
> (*), achieving an accuracy of max., say, 15 meters, surveys the same
> area, figures out that (by his/her point of view) POIs added by mapper
> A are 15 meters off and corrects their location.
>
> what is needed here is some tag, saying "don't touch these
> coordinates, they've been surveyed with high(est) accuracy".

I used estimated_accuracy=* or gps_accuracy=* a couple of times, but I doubt
that it prevents other mappers from moving or even deleting them. Some use
editors like Potlatch, so they are not aware of tags. Some do thousands of
edits, all of which are validator based "corrections". They do not ask nor
think nor look at tags, except at those reported by the validator.