[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - leisure=fitness_centre

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Mon Dec 29 09:00:10 UTC 2014

On 29.12.2014 04:25, Clifford Snow wrote:
> Sport isn't a physical tag, where a baseball field is. I think the same
> applies to fitness centers. You can survey a fitness center. Not a sport. As
> a kid, I played baseball in a vacant lot.

I agree that sport=* cannot be used on its own. It is an attribute. It
should be combined with a more physical tag (amenity=*, leisure=*).

leisure=pitch can be used as the main tag.
leisure=sports_centre can be used as a main tag.
leisure=fitness_station too.

We can use these tags for most fitness venues, except for parts of
containing sports centres. One example is the aforementioned fitness centre
in a rowing club.

While leisure=fitness_centre is a specific solution for fitness rooms, it
won't work for squash rooms, tennis halls, soccer halls etc. Therefore, we
might want to look for some more generic way to tag parts of sports centres.

As it is some kind of indoor mapping, room=* comes to mind. But what if a
whole complex of rooms is dedicated to one sport?