[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Water tap

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 11:01:41 UTC 2014

On 29/12/2014 9:33 PM, tagging-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:
> Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 02:18:28 -0800
> From: Bryce Nesbitt<bryce2 at obviously.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Water tap (Kotya
> 	Karapetyan)
>
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 4:22 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer<dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> >
>> >not sure if "purity" is a good choice. Completely "pure" water is not
>> >potable (distilled water), you'd die if you drank too much (OK, you'll also
>> >die when drinking too much "normal" water [1], but the second "too much" is
>> >much more than the first).
>> >
> "purity" is a judgement call.
> Generally those don't go well in OSM.
>
> How about tags for signage, e.g. "It's marked as potable", "it's marked as
> untested", "it's marked as non-potable".
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

I suggest the tag for taps go ahead for voting. But remove all the
purity/potable things .. just vote on the tap. I don't see any problem
there.

The sub tag for potable can then be raised as a separate wiki entry ..
and discussion on 'portable' continued. Such as when the tap carries no
marking; I'd think this will be country sepcific .. some countries will
have unmarked taps as potable, other countries as non-potable, and
others as 'unknown'. Note that this sub tag can be applied to things
other than taps... springs, fountains ...