[Tagging] lanes=-1 especially in Canada

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Dec 30 21:16:08 UTC 2014

On 12/29/2014 04:16 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> I rolled the map-roulette wheel, and found a series of highways in
> Canada marked with "lanes=-1", all part of a CANVEC import.
>
> I see 17,943 uses of this value: it's less popular than 5 lanes but more
> popular than 6.
> What does it mean, if anything?

It may well mean what it says, a one-lane road.  Some rural areas in the
USA still have one-lane roads, with occasional wider spots where one
vehicle can pause to allow a vehicle going the other direction to pass
by.  Given how sparsely-populated some of the northern regions of Canada
are, I would not be surprised to find some one-lane roads, and some
extensive areas with no roads at all.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.