[Tagging] lanes=-1 especially in Canada

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Dec 30 22:38:35 UTC 2014

On 12/30/2014 03:16 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> On 12/29/2014 04:16 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>> I rolled the map-roulette wheel, and found a series of highways in
>> Canada marked with "lanes=-1", all part of a CANVEC import.
>>
>> I see 17,943 uses of this value: it's less popular than 5 lanes but more
>> popular than 6.
>> What does it mean, if anything?

> It may well mean what it says, a one-lane road.  Some rural areas in the
> USA still have one-lane roads, with occasional wider spots where one
> vehicle can pause to allow a vehicle going the other direction to pass
> by.  Given how sparsely-populated some of the northern regions of Canada
> are, I would not be surprised to find some one-lane roads, and some
> extensive areas with no roads at all.

I just re-read this, and realized that the value was negative 1, not
positive 1.  Negative 1 probably represents some editor program's way of
tagging lanes as "unknown".

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.