[Tagging] How to tag an imaginary oneway barrier

Masi Master masi-master at gmx.de
Sat Feb 1 16:30:44 UTC 2014

Am 01.02.2014, 10:05 Uhr, schrieb Pee Wee <piewie32 at gmail.com>:

> 1 Cut the way where the sign is and use a relation type :
> restriction<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:restriction>.
>
> 2 Add a node on the way where the sign is and add a motorcar:backward=no
> this node. (similar to
> traffic_sign:forward<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Traffic_sign#As_part_of_a_way>on
> a node that is part of a way)
>
> 3 Cut the way where the sign is into a tiny piece of way.  Add a
> motorcar:backward =no  to this tiny piece of way.

Normally traffic signs belongs to the road to the next
intersection/crossing. Let's look how we tag maxspeed: From the sign to
the next sign/intersection/crossing "the whole way". So if you come from a
residential-driveway or by a u-turn, you can't see the maxspeed limit and
you can't drive conform to it. So should we tag the maxspeed also at a
very short section? (Router and other software has to must expand the
maxspeed to the next intersection.)

I suggest it is better to add No. 3: motorcar:backward=no
The sign is there by a reason, and motorcars should not go to this
road/direction. So OSM-data can give a person/software a bit of "more
information" to show that the road/direction is "not allowed" (even but
 from beginning).