[Tagging] How to tag an imaginary oneway barrier

Frank Little frankosm at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 5 15:38:32 UTC 2014

Kytömaa Lauri wrote:

>> Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>>does not represent what's on the ground: there won't be a "one way street"
>>sign.
>
> Dual carriage roads don't have one way signs, either, but the parts have
> oneway=yes. I just noticed that the relatively recently changed description
> on the Key:oneway wiki page is even wrong because it tries to set the
> requirement of a oneway street sign.
>
> It's the effect "traffic on this way may flow in one direction only", not
> the signs, that are more relevant to most use cases.
>
> --
> Alv

Agreed. It is the effect we need to tag.

If we only use the oneway tag where it is explicitely signed, we get a routing
problem on cycleways in the Netherlands.

In most cases, when there are cyclepaths on both sides of a road here, the
cycleways are oneway in the appropriate direction (on the rightmost side of
the road).
The cyclepaths may or may not have a no-entry sign at the end and may or may
not have one-way signage where you join the path from the left (or right).

If a cyclepath is two-way, this is explicitely signed with arrows in both
directions.