[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - All You Can Eat

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Sat Feb 15 03:03:38 UTC 2014

On 02/14/2014 06:33 PM, John Packer wrote:

>     What does taginfo suggest people are currently tagging places with
>     an "all you can eat" option as?
>
> The closest I was able to find were 2 uses of cuisine=all_you_can_eat,
> 1 use of note=all_you_can_eat, 5 uses of buffet=yes and 68 uses of
> cuisine=buffet.
> The tag cuisine=buffet might have a considerable number of uses,
> however cuisine=* describes the type of food, not /the way/ the food
> is served.
> Also my proposal is not specific to buffets, and allows other styles
> of all-you-can-eat syles(like rodízios).
>
> I'm not sure about the other countries, but I can say this tag will be
> pretty useful in Brazil, where things like rodízios and buffets are
> considerably common.
> Of course, I tried to include every case I could imagine.

> <mailto:lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk>>:
>
>     John Packer wrote:
>
>         http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/All_you_can_eat
>

>     What does taginfo suggest people are currently tagging places with
>     an "all you can eat" option as?
>
>     I'm not convinced that this necessarily needs a proposal...
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Andy

The problem with "cuisine=all_you_can_eat" is that "All you can eat" is
a pricing scheme, not a cuisine.  This would prevent tagging with the
actual cuisine, such as "cuisine=Chinese" or "cuisine=Mediterranean".

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.