[Tagging] wikidata instead of wikipedia

ueliw0 ueliw0 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 23:32:03 UTC 2014

Hi,

with wikidata now operational, I was wondering if it would make sense to
use (tag) wikidata items instead of the wikipedia links. In the
medium/long term I think it could be beneficial. Language independent,
often less problems with articles that don't cover the same topic in
different languages, central place to connect different free data
projects, direct access/connection to data/statements like population,
elevation, name/label in many languages, ...
Only drawback I can see, is that wikidata item id's are just numbers and
therefore not human readable, but I think that could be solved rather
easily in the editors.
Any thoughts?

cheers
ueli