[Tagging] How to tag a public works facility ?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 17:37:02 UTC 2014

> So I guess the final say is how this is handled by the tools that use
> the . If they can handle stuff like this with ease, then I see no
> reason to  duplicate a way just to add a fence, or making it over
> complicated by letting two ways share nodes or a multipolygon from
> multipleways..

I see this not as a case for tools to handle something, but as a question
how to model in a clear way. If you now add height=2m to this object, you
might still be able to say, "this is for the fence" by interpreting it, but
adding other tags like wikipedia or name it will become often unclear to
which object the attributes / tags belong, if several different objects are
represented in the same osm object. If we had a distinct area datatype this
would be more obvious (and less a problem therefore, because people would
be forced to separate objects).
E.g. if your fence were a wall, it would be impossible to tell whether this
was a thick wall (mapped as an area) or if the wall was intended as a
linear feature.

cheers,
Martin