[Tagging] Fwd: tag for planetarium

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 00:28:17 UTC 2014

I think amenity=planetarium is perfectly reasonable. A planetarium is a
place that resembles a theater but the "show" involves models of the
planets and/or the stars & universe. If OSM can have an amenity=brothel
tag, we can certainly have an amenity tag for planetaria, which are in my
opinion "something for the benefit/enjoyment of society as a whole" whereas
it is arguable whether brothels fit into that category. ;-)

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 5:27 AM, John Packer <john.packer7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps instead of amenity=*, it should be added to tourism=*.
>
> It seems that's where the discussion is going to.

>>  On 2/24/14 5:17 PM, Colin Smale wrote:
>> >

>> > I would not call it an amenity, which is (to me, native UK English
>> > speaker) something for the benefit/enjoyment of society as a whole (or
>> > at least a large part of it). These days a planetarium is probably for
>> > enjoyment/entertainment (suggesting leisure=planetarium).
>>
>> on the other hand, in my experience Planetariums are usually
>> attached to museums of one kind or another, whether science
>> museums or children's museums.
>>
>> richard
>> --
>> rwelty at averillpark.net
>>  Averill Park Networking - GIS & IT Consulting
>>  OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
>>  Java - Web Applications - Search

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska