[Tagging] wikidata instead of wikipedia

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 13:10:05 UTC 2014

I guess if this really takes off, the editors (software) need a way to look
up the label and present that to the user instead of the cryptic Q-numbers.
This creates many lookups though and it's probably needed to cache them.
It would also be nice to use the localised labels, falling back to the main
English one when the one in the user's language isn't available.

I do see value in this integration with wikidata. But only if we add them
to OSM, it doesn't help to add pointers to our objects on the wikidata
side, since our object ids are not totally stable.

I did this for Pater Damiaan and Guido Gezelle now, occasionally adding
references to the sculptors of their statues, just to get a feel for the
possibilities.

I see no harm in leaving direct links to 1 or a few wikipedia pages (in
multilingual areas).

One could argue that with a link to wikipedia the link to wikidata can be
looked up automatically, but that is very inefficient.

Jo