[Tagging] origin of some fire_hydrant tagging

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Feb 27 16:47:38 UTC 2014

On 2/27/14 4:50 AM, Philip Barnes wrote:
> I also disagree with standpipe, in UK usage a standpipe is an emergency source of water provided for residents if mains water if off for some reason.

i have done some more research and asked around, and this
is where i'm at:

standpipe is ambiguous. it is used in the US for both wet and
dry risers, and in the UK for wet & dry risers (a secondary term
riser being primary in the UK) as well as for the pipe used
to provide connectivity to underground hydrants. so i think it
should not be used at all, since you wouldn't map the standpipes
in the UK (they're mobile after all.)

so riser for the in building systems is consistent with UK usage
and the way we should go. however, it turns out that riser
terminology does not use the term hydrant (it uses the terms
outlet and inlet in the obvious way), so i will drop it from the
water source specification.

finally, i have found references to pillar as a hydrant type. i was
not insisting on it going away, merely questioning where it came
from, so now i'm ok with leaving them as is. however, there are
more specific types available, so i will propose adding dry_barrel
and wet_barrel to the allowable fire_hydrant:type tags. it's fairly
easy to distinguish between the two types; dry barrel hydrants
are the norm in climates where the ground freezes, and wet
barrel hydrants are the norm in warm climates. the nut that
operates the main valve of the dry barrel is a dead giveaway
for the hydrant type, so it's easily detectable by mappers.

how does everyone feel about these changes?

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search