[Tagging] origin of some fire_hydrant tagging

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Feb 27 20:03:56 UTC 2014

On 2/27/14 2:56 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> Color-coding is likely used by the fire department to signify matters such as how much water-flow is available.  I don't know how standardized these color codes are, however.

there are standards published by the AWWA (American Water
Works Association) and the NFPA (National Fire Protection
Association) which are approximately the same. however, they
are honored by some departments but not others. barrel color
is supposed to be chrome yellow, and the bonnet and caps
are supposed to be painted to indicate flow capacity at 20psi.
details of the standards may be found here:

http://www.firehydrant.org/info/design07.html

some departments use bonnet and/or cap color to indicate
the main diameter. this is easier to do than measure flow
capacity but provides less useful information; in theory a
hydrant on an 8" main can produce 1000 GPM at 20 psi,
but in practice they sometimes produce noticeably less.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search