[Tagging] Tags useful for rendering of roads in poor conditions

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 01:25:06 UTC 2014

I want to add my opinion on this topic before you make a decision. Where I
do most of my mapping, the United States and Thailand, most roads are
paved. The assumption therefore is that in the absence of a surface tag,
the road is considered paved and rendered according to one of several
schemes (which shouldn't concern us here, correct?). From the discussion
I'm afraid you will want to make unpaved the default which I think would be
a mistake.

Furthermore, the majority of my mapping in Thailand is done from Bing
imagery. One cannot state for certain whether a road is paved or not that
way but in the general case the assumption of paved would be correct. All
this discussion and opinions about track types is relevant if you're
working on the ground in an area with which you're familiar but the game
changes when you're trying to add highways in distant rural areas where the
only information available is from aerial photographs.

This discussion has merit and is interesting -- I will continue to follow
it to see where it all leads.

Regards,

Dave Swarthout (AlaskaDave)

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Fernando Trebien <fernando.trebien at gmail.com