[Tagging] Tags useful for rendering of roads in poor conditions

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Jan 2 15:19:38 UTC 2014

On 1/2/14 9:49 AM, Fernando Trebien wrote:
> So, which approach is most convenient for the rendering app?
> Definitely it's using the tracktype tag, there's only 1 value to be
> ever considered.

i really think we should spend less time on rendering and more time
simply on accurately and concisely describing the road. i feel i need
to remind everyone that there are other data consumers besides
rendering engines. Some examples:

mkgmap which produces garmin format maps from OSM data

OsmAnd which is both a routing and a rendering engine for Android platforms

various routing engines being developed with an eye on web deployment

and of course the data might be used for intensive analysis that doesn't
produce maps or routes, but reports and statistics.

you obsess with rendering representations at the risk of coming up with
something that only meets one particular perceived need.

richard