[Tagging] Tags useful for rendering of roads in poor conditions

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 06:35:11 UTC 2014

Well, that road is certainly not a good example of what we have in Alaska.
 Our unpaved roads are all-weather roads and can tolerate a lot of rain.
The great majority would not degrade to that condition. They are a mixture
of sand, clay and gravel optimized for the purpose and laid down on top of
a geotextile base. Fairly stable even for heavy traffic. The "haul road" to
the oil fields at Prudhoe Bay are an example of such a road. Do a search in
Google Images for "alaska haul road" to see them.

That said, I agree that too much fussiness in assigning surface conditions
is overall probably less helpful than just knowing if a road is paved or
unpaved. I have driven on classified highways here in Thailand that are
tracks in all but name. They're paved but so broken up and pot holed that
I've used a tag we haven't discussed in this thread yet, surface_condition,
to describe them, e.g., surface_condition=Rough less than 40 kph, and
similar. Will these ever get rendered in a meaningful way? Maybe someday,
but I'm not holding my breath.

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:46 PM, Gerald Weber <gweberbh at gmail.com> wrote:

>> OsmAnd which is both a routing and a rendering engine for Android
>> platforms
>>

> I am currently trying to get Osmand's attention to the same problem. The
> point is that Mapnik's default rendering style is replicated to other
> applications. Indeed, Osmand's style is nearly identical to Mapnik's.
>
> Again on the subject of the tracktype tag: something tells me that many of
> you may have never used the tracktype in earnest.
>
> So lets do an exercise. See these pictures here
> http://www.dzai.com.br/dtna/foto/galeria?fot_id=222064. You will see a
> Bus and a truck both stuck in the mud of what happens to be an important
> road (otherwise there would be no bus and no truck). So what tracktype
> should we use here? These roads were perfectly passable a few weeks ago. Do
> you see the problem?
>
> I map rural highways all the time and I find myself unable to use this tag
> for one very simple reason: unsurfaced roads change all the time. One
> particular road may be grade3 today and grade5 a few months later. If you
> are an experienced driver you first ask locals about the state of the road
> before going ahead.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand