[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - trafficability

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Jan 3 13:09:05 UTC 2014

On 1/3/14 6:23 AM, Dan S wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It reminds me quite a lot of opening_hours
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours
> Would that be appropriate?

there are different types of trafficability issues.
here in upstate NY, we have two types of seasonal
road. most are simply unpaved roads which have
signs indicating that they are not maintained from
November through the spring; they are not closed
but they are also not plowed and no effort is made
to repair anything during that time frame. it's
travel-at-your-own-risk, and the risk is at times
quite high. i've seen similar situations in Switzerland
where the road to the pass simply ends in a snow
bank (presumably there was a sign some where, but
i didn't look for it. maybe everybody knew so they
didn't put one up.)

there are a fewer number of roads that are seasonal
and gated; they physically close in November and the
gates are not reopened until spring.

richard