[Tagging] Tags useful for rendering of roads in poor conditions

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 19:59:01 UTC 2014

I'm trying to account for driveability, cyclability, walkability, and
wheelchair-ability. Grade values 6-8 here are those that the Australian
community advocates:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Davo#Draft_4x4_road_proposal

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2014/1/3 Fernando Trebien <fernando.trebien at gmail.com>
>
>> I decided to extend my comparison between tracktype and surface, now
>> including smoothness. I think we may need a new tag to integrate all
>> surface quality classification systems (it can well be a simple
>> numeric tag). See this: http://i.imgur.com/yEJ52eE.png
>>

> I don't think we need yet another generalized tag for driveability of a
> street. The current surface values give you an idea how a road might change
> in rain / wet weather or improve when frozen, 4wd is only part of what you
> need to know, mostly it is the clearance below the car and the distance
> between the wheels that determine whether you can pass an uneven road or
> not (maybe 4wd is assuming more generally an offroad vehicle).
>
> tracktype is a scale from grade1 to grade5, if you want to add more values
> they should go in between not after at the end (e.g. 1a, 1b, ...)
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"The speed of computer chips doubles every 18 months." (Moore's law)
"The speed of software halves every 18 months." (Gates' law)