[Tagging] Tags useful for rendering of roads in poor conditions

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 23:10:01 UTC 2014

So, the idea of unifying the classification systems is not popular.
I'll leave you with one last thought, and then I won't insist anymore.

To challenge that idea, I decided to plot my own subjective
"trafficability" values (what I think each of these tags mean for
choosing a way based on the description of its surface) for each of
these new classes that I proposed. I'll repeat, "subjective" values. I
arrived at them asking myself: if I had one 100km way in perfect
conditions and a shortcut to the same destination with this other
particular surface/relief, how long could the latter be to remain a
better choice than the former? Here's what I answered to myself:
http://i.imgur.com/HUoE1iD.png

Of course, each person would have a different parameter set and
routing developers should query many people and average these results
out. To note: I had little doubt about what the actual value would be
for each class, except in one situation: the new class 5 +
surface=gravel + vehicles with thin tires (wheelchairs and bikes).
Maybe gravel should not be in that class, or maybe the physics of
gravel would require an extra tag.

One remarkable thing: the largest change happens from class 3 to 4,
and continues from 4 to 5. This is where I believe our discussion on
visually distinguishing unpaved/unsealed ways is focused. What changes
there? Several values of the surface tag, the wheelchair tag (from yes
to limited), the smoothness tag (from intermediate to bad) and the
tracktype tag (from grade1 to grade2). So, for me, the semantic of any
of these tags could be used to achieve what I want for the new
rendering style.

Again, these are all my own subjective conjectures and are just an
extension of my previous arguments. I would be quite curious to see
how each one here would plot that graph, and whether you'd feel unsure
on how to assign values to each of these classes (if you read the
description of the similar tags first).