[Tagging] Tags useful for rendering of roads in poor conditions

Dominic Hosler dominichosler at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 00:07:19 UTC 2014

Hi,
I've been observing for a while but I want to chime in on the discussion.

Let's not forget that mapping for OSM is not about the rendering, it's
about mapping what is actually on the ground. Therefore we are actually
discussing two different but related issues.

The first is how to appropriately capture the physical state of the road,
perhaps considering different seasons / weather possibilities. The second
is how should we suggest that the default map tiles be rendered to show
that some roads are 'more difficult' to travel using a certain category of
vehicles.

In my opinion the tagging should not include user specific descriptions
like 'bad' because of the obvious 'bad for what?' questions. I think that
the current 'surface=' tag does a good job at specifying the material from
which the road is made. Personally I think we should leave the surface tag
as it is, and maybe use the values to guess defaults for the condition. I
do think that there should be some other tag to describe the condition. The
suggestion of adding a 'surface:sealed=yes|no' seems to me a good idea, not
that I have much experience of any rough roads. We seem to be requiring a
standardised, not open ended, description of the quality of the road, to
extend the information of it's construction material.

I think we should combine the surface tag with smoothness, and make it
easier to understand for mappers. It should be well defined in the wiki
with example pictures as to what type of quality (frequency / depth of
holes, cracks or anything) corresponds to what value for smoothness.
Personally I am against combining it all into one tag, because that reduces
the detail of the maps, thus reducing the usefulness for those that render
their own maps for certain niche requirements. A combination of smoothness
and surface would be good. Possibly even including 'surface:stable=yes|no'
to declare if short term conditions (weather / seasons) will affect the
surface. These two or three tags should efficiently describe what is
actually on the ground, then we leave it to the renderer to decide how to
display it according to the users that renderer is targeting.

My opinion on the rendering is that there are already a number of usage
specific rendering and routing engines. Some render tags specific to
cyclists, some for lorries. I agree that the default map tiles should have
a different rendering for something along the lines of 'normal cars will
have to be careful / struggle on this road'. The exact line drawing of
exactly what would count as that would have to be decided and other use
cases who require a different setting may need to design their own
rendering styles.

Dominic.