[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - trafficability

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 13:53:28 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM, BGNO BGNO <bgno2014 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The information which people gave me about the mentioned 20km long
> road was: Yes you can use the road with a regular car if it doesn't
> rain. I think it is practicable to tag that information into OSM. How
> would you tag that based on physical models?

I agree with you. But there is currently nothing formally adopted for
such access conditions based on weather.
Searching the wiki, I found these proposals:
- "surface=all_weather" ([1]) but the values should be reworked
- "dry_weather_only=yes/no" ([2])
- the conditional access restrictions ([3]) (but this is more legal
with traffic signs)
- see all the pages on specific road tagging per countries ([4])
- and how other countries handle the question you raise. For instance,
Australia ([5])

They are maybe other ideas. What you need is "find the best one and
use it". Or if you want that the community (and the renderers styles
maintainers) adopt it as well, start a "vote" process and explain how
important it is in your country.

Pieren

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Surface:all_weather
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Dry_Weather_Road