[Tagging] one-directinal bicycle dismount on oneway road ?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 19 17:05:06 UTC 2014

Well, certainly I have seen them applied to large "permissive" areas
like shopping centres. If we don't use bicycle=no for this, how about
bicycle=prohibited?

The standard sign for "no vehicles" (red ring on white background) does
not apply to bicycles being pushed by hand, but as a bicycle is
technically a vehicle whether it is being ridden or not, there are some
esoteric edge cases in the "no vehicles" category, like "no vehicles
carrying explosives". If your bike carrier is full of Semtex,
dismounting is IMHO not enough to allow you to pass the sign.

I could also mention that it is not always clear what the status is of
unicycles, tricycles etc. The UK legislation seems to vary between the
use of the word "bicycle" and "pedal cycle" (which covers them all). I
found this article which illustrates some of the complexities:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2011/jul/28/cycling-pavement-offence

Colin