[Tagging] Bitcoin and Online shops

bulwersator bulwersator at zoho.com
Wed Jan 22 13:56:16 UTC 2014

---- On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 19:17:06 -0800 Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote ----

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:
 Hi,

Openstreetmap has been contributing to the Bitcoin revolution with this map:
 http://coinmap.org/

the problem is that lots of online businesses want to get on the map, and I don't know what tags to suggest. Should we invent something like office=online? Then it could be further specified with online:shop=clothes, online=pizza_delivery, or something like that.

The experience at dmoz, the human edited directory, is akin to fighting the advance of a sand dune with a bucket.
Eventually the dmoz editors developed a fortress mentality, actively trying to fend off the hordes of spammers, scammers, sploggers, and the occasional legitimate business owner.

The "open" in "open streetmap" will become a liability, under the clutter of unverifiable submissions from business
that have no physical reality that is either relevant or verifiable.

--
Perhaps all online businesses can all be put on a island in the Antarctic.

--
A business that a second mapper can't verify exists (with a sign or mailbox entry) I strongly feel must be excluded.

We are NOT mapping online-only activity. Attempting to place things like this on map is pointless and should be reverted as fast as possible to keep this from spreading.