[Tagging] Ski_jump_take_off

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 11:53:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 11:04:38PM +0100, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> On 22.01.2014 21:52, yvecai wrote:
> > 97 sport=ski_jump_take_off, given the number off such facilities in the
> > world can be considered as a massive use of the tag. Should we really
> > change the key even if leisure, man_made or piste:type would seems more
> > appropriate ?
>
> Yes, we should change it. This value would re-define the sport=* key,
> and 97 uses are not enough to re-define a key with 645415 uses.

-1

* sport=* is used for something different. His intention was to describe the
  details of a technical structure, not to say what kind of sport facility it is.
  Would you map ski-pistest with sport=*? How?
* 97 is a high percentage ski jump sites that were mapped. There is no reason
  to compare it with unrelated sports.
* sport=* is really lacking form many purposes, which is the reason that most
  sports that can profit from detailed mapping don't use it. We don´t mark hiking
  trails with sport=hiking, via ferrata's with sport=, waterways with sport=kayaking.

Richard