[Tagging] Wikipedia tag validator

bulwersator bulwersator at zoho.com
Fri Jan 24 16:02:56 UTC 2014

I made a simple validator of wikipedia tag. It is fetching wikipedia articles
and checking for serious problems. I intended to do some fancy checks - but
for now even looking for articles without coordinates is enough. There are
many instances of improper wikipedia tags in OSM database and multiple linked
Wikipedia articles are missing coordinates.

Git repository with this python script resides at
https://github.com/Bulwersator/OSM-wikipedia-tag-validator (suggestions for
improvements, bug reports and especially pull requests are welcomed!), some
example report (for Vatican and Manhattan) are at
https://github.com/Bulwersator/OSM-wikipedia-tag-validator-reports . I may on
request generate additional reports, for any location (the best way to ask for
additional report is to open issue at
https://github.com/Bulwersator/OSM-wikipedia-tag-validator-reports/issues ).

Unfortunately this is standalone script, not a part of JOSM as I see no good
way to integrate something fetching data from external sources (Wikipedia)
into existing JOSM validator.