[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Bag shop, pet shop

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Wed Jan 29 01:36:30 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Sorry for taking so long to getting back to this proposal. Thank you
for all your comments.

I confirm that this discussion does not concern a mechanical/automatic
edit. This discussion is only about what the community thinks is the
preferred tag, and permission for automatic re-tagging would require a
separate discussion.

Some people wonder why we need a proposal for these tags, as both tags
are existing, well-established tags. However, because a rather
significant number of mappers prefers an alternative tagging, I think
that it is a good to have a discussion in which both sides can give
their arguments (although likely most mappers won't have a strong
opinion). The fact that a tag is used most often is a strong reason to
prefer it, but in case of strong arguments for the lesser used tag, we
might still decide on that one. That happened in the aed/defibrilator
case, for example.

Considering the tag info box: the proposal infobox contains basically
the same information as the tag info box, except the image. If
accepted, the info from the proposal infobox would be moved to the tag
infobox. Perhaps someone can modify the proposal infobox in a way that
it also can contain an image? I don't think duplicating the
information would be useful.

In any case, I have updated the pages with a bit more information and
pictures (although something seems to be wrong with the image link on
the bags page). Please let me know if you have ideas what else could
be added.

See:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Bag_shop
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Pet_shop