[Tagging] Subsequent wikipedia links

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue Jul 1 14:42:58 UTC 2014

On 30 June 2014 14:30, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> the wikipedia key is still human readable
> where the wikidata is just an encrypted interdatabase foreign key.

A Wikidata ID is part of a URL and can be rendered as such; for
example, Q173882 equates to <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q173882>

> I would consider elements exclusively tagged with wikidata as a
> pollution

Please tone down the hyperbole

> like any other unusable 'ref's to external resources.

It's not "unusable"; see URL, above.

> And one of the mentionned
> example is providing the building operator only through the
> "wikipedia:operator" where most of the data consumers are simply
> looking for the "operator" tag. I discover a semantic shift where
> traditional OSM tags are slowly replaced by wikipedia contributors
> eyes and habits.

OSM is best used for "on the ground" data. There's no point in trying
to use it to replicate all the data held in other databases.

An example I've given previsouly is that the Wikidata entry for
Q173882 (which is St Paul's Cathedral in London) links to the
MusicBrainz entry for the cathedral, and that tells us which musical
works have been premiered there. We wouldn't want to use OSM to store
lists of works premiered in the buildings we map.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing