[Tagging] Aerodrome types

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Thu Jul 3 14:35:24 UTC 2014

On Jul 3, 2014, at 6:40 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> this essentially can be condensed to "length of runway", because this implies bigger airplanes, and bigger airplanes tend to fly longer distances. If there is a small airfield close to the border, you might have international (regional) flights also with very small planes.
> Anyone remember Mathias Rust ;-)  http://socks-studio.com/img/blog/mathias-rust-04.jpg
>
> cheers,
> Martin

It is my understanding that an "international" airport is one that has the physical facilities for dealing with customs and passport control and currently has those facilities staffed. This is independent of runway length, over what distances flights to the airport might be or even if it currently has scheduled international flights.

For airports that currently have scheduled international flights it is obvious: It must be an international airport. For others it might be a little difficult to determine without a close in person survey if a small airport has facilities for dealing with customs and passport control. But there are lots of things in OSM that can only be verified by such surveys.