[Tagging] Tagging-rendering relations

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Wed Jul 9 13:09:10 UTC 2014

W dniu 09.07.2014 13:39, Christoph Hormann napisał(a):

> I can very much relate to that but this is not a matter that can be
> resolved easily.  Everyone has things he/she likes to change in the

Of course, but even open projects are not completely disconnected and we
can try to find a good balance.

> My opinion is that the best approach would be to establish better means
> for people to create variants of the style and present them to a broad
> audicence.  This would have two effects - first it would allow changes

That would be awesome! However in the meantime we can also make baby
step in this direction: default "beautiful" map (current "stable" one)
and default "testing" map, where we can have also all the default icons
to cherry pick the best approach and use them later in the beautiful
style. What do you think about it?

> In general a good tagging scheme should stand alone and not be designed
> specifically for a certain rendering.  To this aim it is quite good not
> to have a too close connection between tagging and rendering.  A tag
> that contains useful and specific information can also be useful in
> rendering even if the actual way it is rendered is not considered
> during tag design.

In ideal world DTP (I do it sometimes) doesn't need to be checked by the
authors, but in reality some hints are even helpful for the best end
result, because documents rarely are self-explanatory. Also the remarks
from DTP operator help authors to choose easier ways of doing something.

I said before, that I treat "Rendering" option as a hint for rendering
team, not a duty, so I can agree with you. That is not "too close"
connection, but a two-way communication interface: I said also, that
rendering team can express their views and try to reach the common
ground or just clearly state the reasons of a difference. Rendering
issues can also convince the proposition author to rethink the tagging
rules - it's just one more input in the brainstorm. I can't think of it
as a problem at all. Total separation is needed to make something more
secure, not more useful, especially in open projects, where we choose
project roles as we like it and can have more than one at the time.

> Fixed zoom threshold are one of the major problems of the current map
> style, they are selected to look fine for a certain area, usually the
> favorite city of the one making the style decision.  Choose a different
> area where the map scale is different or the geographic setting leads
> to a different distribution of POIs and things fall apart quickly.

So are fixed highways classification: primary road in rural countries
can look like a track in developed ones... But it's just the cost of
trying to make things consistent in global scale, not the specific
rendering issue and we can't fully get rid of it. Maybe we have to make
some local rules too, but than we loose a bit of uniformity - and we can
look for the best balance between those things.

But in the model with stable and testing default map we can put
everything to testing and see if it works or not. Even if we will hit
the wall hard with some cases, the good ones won't be stopped from being
used in the stable and if someone likes to see everything and more, she
will have the option to do it.

--
Mambałaga