[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Enhancing natural=peak tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:59:59 UTC 2014

> And then sometimes you end up with rendering problem because of lack of
> enough distinction in the tagging (they are by your definition not what
> they really should be), and what than? I would get back to tagging studio
> and think if this visual distinction is not a symptom of a more fundamental
> difference, which should be seen in tagging. And you?

Yes, I also find a lot of such situations where there aren't yet tags for
details I'd like to convey or even whole object classes missing. I "often"
write proposals and hope that others catch them (e.g. amenity=monastery is
one of these, where before many mappers insisted that tagging them as
place_of_worship would suffice but now it seems that the tag gets used also
by others).

>  Rendering instead tries to show what might be interesting for a given
>> context (i.e. it will be a selection and generalization of all the
>> information contained in the db). There is only one tagging/mapping
>> db, but there are infinite rendering dbs.
>>

> That's true for many "themed" maps, where the context is king, but I talk
> only about default one. And there are also many wild tags out there (and I
> don't touch them), but only one "default" set, and it is what I want to
> talk about. This set is not too big, yet the default map doesn't show all
> these default tags. I feel it's a bad quirk.

there was some pause with the main stylesheet until last year, but now
there is great activity and a lot of things get touched (and amended). Be
confident, the main style is improving rapidly and open to everyone to
create pull requests.

cheers,
Martin