[Tagging] Marking dual carriageways

Jesse Crawford jesse at jbcrawford.us
Thu Jul 10 21:20:19 UTC 2014

An example situation is visible here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/34.05688/-106.89005

Both California St and the nearby I-25 are two-way streets made up of two
parallel one-way streets. This has the advantage of thorough data, but it
introduces two issues that I see:

1) Information on crossover points is usually insufficient for surface
streets of this type, at least in the US. It is possible to make U-turns
and left turns from California St in many more places than the map shows,
but considering that these places are just small cuts in the divider it
seems excessive to make a small road object for each one.

2) When you zoom out, the two sides are still rendered separately but the
lines begin to overlap. It begins to look strange, e.g. two "California St"
labels on slightly different baselines will appear right next to eachother,
with one representing each side. A reference tying the two ways together
might provide map renderers information that they could use to prevent this
situation.

Jesse B. Crawford
Student, Information Technology
New Mexico Inst. of Mining & Tech