[Tagging] Future proposal - RFC - amenity=dormitory

Dudley Ibbett dudleyibbett at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 12 14:25:04 UTC 2014

Hi

I was going to say that from a UK English perspective I have never seen dormitory used in this way.  However, in the context of a dictionary definition the proposal seems to relate to the definition with regard to a suburb  "A small town or suburb providing a residential area for those who work in a nearby city".    It also appears that it would be used as a modifier.  i.e. a dormitory suburb.

I may have got this wrong but the proposal would seem to be extending this definition to mean a type of "suburb" of the University.   UK Universities are rather small to have "dormitory suburbs" and you would generally just talk about the "halls of residence" or the perhaps the "residential" area of a campus.

Regards

Dudley