[Tagging] Problem with access=designated

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Tue Jul 15 16:52:56 UTC 2014

On 13/07/2014 19:44, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> According to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Dofficial
> access=designated "often includes ways that have no legal dedication
> like e.g. recommended routes of a local bicycle club"

Presumably here you don't actually mean "access=designated" but instead
mean something like "foot=designated" or "horse=designated" (i.e. foot
or horse traffic is suggested by signage to use a particular route).

"access=designated" (43k in taginfo - [1]) is surely meaningless.
Looking locally (e.g. [2]), I suspect what people really mean is
"private" or perhaps "permissive".

And no, I'd never suggest that "recommended routes of a local bicycle
club" would be even bicycle=designated for that reason alone.

Cheers,

Andy

[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/access=designated

[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/42400330