[Tagging] British English Spelling shop=jewelry

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 18:22:23 UTC 2014

I agree with John - no need to change the spelling. The differences between
British English and American English are troublesome enough already
(tyre:tire, centre:center, harbour:harbor, etc.:etc.) — why make another
one?

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:12 AM, John Packer <john.packer7 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't think we should change the spelling of an well-established tag
> (more than 13 000 uses according to taginfo)
>
> See the comments about the abrupt change of power=sub_station to
> power=substation on github[1]. For example:
>
>>  [..] why bother changing the tag? Should we next have a vote on whether
>> it should be spelt railway or spelled railroad? The problem here is not
>> that the tag is mis-spelled, but instead that people are worrying about tag
>> spelling when we should be encouraging people to edit. If enough people
>> spell a tag using a standard incorrect spelling, or a (English standard
>> correct) spelling, then write it up in the Wiki and people who render will
>> know what to do.
>>
>> That is what seems crucial to me: ensuring that people know how to add
>> things, and that people know what they mean once they're added. Correct
>> spelling seems quite secondary to the matter, where correct *rendering*
>> is the crux of the matter.
>>

> [1]: https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/230

>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/BE-
>> Spelling_shop%3Djewelry
>>
>> I kept it short ;) And I the think the Subject says it all. The use of
>> jewellers could of course also be considered.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand