[Tagging] British English Spelling shop=jewelry

Andreas Goss andig88 at t-online.de
Fri Jul 18 19:07:23 UTC 2014

Am 7/18/14 17:55 , schrieb Jesse B. Crawford:
> In the case of existing tags people will hopefully tend to use the
> spelling that's already predominant, but new tags are being added at
> such a rate that it's still an issue.

The problem I have with this is that it also takes away the initiative
to find the right tag in the first place. Why should I care when in the
end we just accept it? Why ask the gb mailing list what the right word
for life_ring is, when that spelling is listed on Wikipedia? Yes, it is
probably neither common in the UK nor the US and used because the German
Rettungsring (safety ring) sounds pretty close to it. But is it an
existing English word? Yes.

So in my opinion this especially hurts when we talk about new tags,
because any key that is to some tiny extent established is then
basically left that way.